We recognise that the national obesity issue is a shared responsibility and are committed to helping our customers to manage their fat, salt and sugar intake whilst ensuring the great taste of our food. We have made positive changes to improve the nutritional value of our products and encourage our customers to make healthier food-on-the-go choices.
As examples of this work:
- We have introduced a 'Balanced Choice' range of healthier sandwiches and soups all under 400 calories that already are proving extremely popular and account for more than 10% of sales
- As part of our plan to reduce sugar across our product range, we have created our own range of no calorie and low calorie drinks and actively promoted no added sugar alternatives to sweetened soft drinks
- We display calorie content on all products at point of sale and full nutritional information on our website and pamphlets in stores, to enable our customers to make informed choices
- We have reduced salt content across all our savoury and bread products in conjunction with the Department of Health guidelines on the area
- We are developing a brand new layout and range for our hospital shop format which will meet CQUIN guidelines by the end of January 2017
- We are working with NHS Scotland to understand how we might achieve the Healthy Living Award and meet the Supporting Healthy Choices criteria
- We are working with the British Nutritional Foundation (BNF) to explore how we can leverage the Breakfast Club programme to educate children on what great dietary habits look like and were proud to support BNF Healthy Eating Week 2016.
Obesity is a complex issue requiring action on a number of fronts - from business, government and civil society - deploying a range of measures to achieve improvement in the UK population's health.
We are playing our part in this broader societal obligation, and have made good progress to date in encouraging our customers to make positive changes when they shop with us. We were delighted to receive the 2015 IGD Health and Wellness Award in recognition of our achievements in this area.
We are committed to playing our part in helping the UK population become healthier, and will continue to work through our stores, product ranges, marketing and labelling, to encourage long term beneficial change in our customers' eating habits.